Deionization (DI) is nothing both the process of removing ionised minerals and salts that are both organic and inorganic from the solution by a process and this process is called ion exchange. Most of the impurities in water are dissolved salts and by removing them, you will be able to get or produce water that are highly pure and the final product that is produced is exactly same as distilled water.
Deionization is faster, less energy efficient and more cost effective when it is compared to distillation. Moreover, it is a process which is done when it is needed and it will produce more purified water when it is required and it is its crucial aspect as water at extreme levels of purity decreases rapidly.
This filter is operated by exchanging cations and anions that is exchange of positively charged hydrogen and negatively charged hydroxyl molecules and they are exchanged for positive and negative contaminant molecules in the water respectively. It is said to be clearly as Positive chemicals like sodium, calcium, iron, and copper will change their places with the hydrogen molecules and same as negative chemicals such as iodine, chloride and sulfate change places with the hydroxyl molecules.
The process of making deionised water is usually processed by two ionized resin beds, which are the opposite of charges and they are cationic resin which is negatively charged and positive charged anionic resin. Hydrogen ions replace the positively charged ions from the solution with the help of cation resin and whereas hydroxide ions are replaced by negative ions by using anion resin. At last, this hydrogen and hydroxide ions in the solution are then combined to form pure water molecules.
Places where deionised water can be used
This deionised water currently has numerous applications, because it is the purest water and some places where it is greatly used are listed below:
- Pharmaceutical Water – In the pharmaceutical industry, this water is used to make cultural media, to create aqueous solutions, and to wash containers and apparatus.
- Automotive – It is used to recharge lead-acid batteries, cooling systems and also other processes.
- Medical Processes – Deionized water is used as the basis for saline and other solutions that are to be injected into the body during medical procedures.
- Microelectronics – In semiconductor production, the properties of this water for absorbing minerals, improving detergents and drying of residues are useful for rinsing and cleaning semiconductor wafers.
- Laboratories – In lab, it is used to clean instruments as well as lab equipment.
- Car Wash – When used after rinsing car and windows, it will produce a spot-free surface, which will have no spots at all.
- Processing of food and beverages – In food and beverages, this water is used as one of the ingredients and is also used to process the product.