The notification for the Civil Services Examination has been released by the Union Public Service Commission on its official website in February 2020. Candidates appearing for the upcoming UPSC exam should soon start with their preparation. The Civil Service Examination is a highly competitive examination. It is also due to the vast UPSC Prelims syllabus that the candidates often find it difficult to clear the exam at one go.
UPSC Prelims is the first stage of the examination. Candidates should clear all the three phases of UPSC Exam to join the Civil Services:
- UPSC Prelims
- UPSC Mains
- Personal Interview
The UPSC Prelims for the year 2020 will be conducted on 31st May 2020. Before kickstarting their preparation for UPSC 2020, a clear concept of the UPSC Prelims syllabus is very important. A candidate should develop proper time management, as per the subjects.
UPSC Prelims Syllabus 2020
The UPSC Prelims Syllabus comprises of two papers:
- General Studies Paper-I
- General Studies Paper-II / Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT)
Both GS-I and GS-II consists of 200 marks and the time allotted for both the paper is 2 hours. The detailed syllabus has been discussed in the table below:
|UPSC Prelims Syllabus|
|General Studies Paper-I||General Studies Paper-II|
|Current events of national and international importance||1. Comprehension
2. Interpersonal skills including communication skills
3. Logical reasoning and analytical ability
4. Decision-making and problem solving
5. General mental ability
6. Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.)
7. Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc.)
|History of India and Indian National Movement|
|Indian and World Geography
● Physical Geography
● Social Geography
● Economic Geography
|Indian Polity and Governance
● Political System
● Panchayati Raj
● Public Policy
● Rights Issues
|Economic and Social Development
● Sustainable Development
● Social Sector initiatives
|General issues on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity and Climate Change|
Important tips for UPSC Prelims 2020
Clearing the Civil Service Examination on the first attempt may be difficult for many candidates. The rate of competition for the exam is increasing annually and hence it is very important for the candidates to follow proper preparation tips in solving the UPSC Prelims Syllabus.
Some of the important tips for the UPSC prelims are mentioned below:
- Before preparing themselves for the examination, a clear picture of the marking pattern and syllabus is very important. A proper division of the UPSC Prelims syllabus will help in building time management of the candidate.
- A candidate should set a comfortable timetable before starting with their preparation. Segregating the subjects as per the time table will help in better preparation. Doing so will help him/her to score well in the examination.
- Regular reading of the daily newspapers/current affairs is very important as most of the questions in the UPSC exam are asked from current affairs.
- Candidates should prepare well for GS-II paper as it comprises aptitude test and logical reasoning section. Major focus should be given on understanding and practicing the concepts on a regular basis which will help them to improve their logical thinking skills.
- There are several mock tests and online quizzes that are available online. Taking up these mock tests on a regular basis will help the candidates in building up their confidence.