Pneumatic conveying is a system that uses compressed air to transport bulk dry and semi-solid powders and granules. It is used for handling, transporting, and conveying powdery substances in industries such as the food industry and pharmaceutical industry.
The air pressure used in the system can be varied depending on the desired application. The high pressure of the system ensures a uniform flow of material, which helps to avoid segregation, bridging, and entrainment.
The system consists of a blower or compressor, piping, filters, valves, and dampers. The blower or compressor forces the air into a pipe which can be connected to different types of valves that regulate the flow at different sections of the system. The pipes are usually made out of metal or plastic. They are usually round in shape with an inside diameter that ranges from 1 inch up to 6 inches depending on the size of the material being conveyed.
Bulk dry and semi-solid powders are often conveyed by pneumatic conveying systems for industries like the food industry, pharmaceutical industry, and chemical industry. These conveying systems can be both horizontal and vertical.
- The horizontal ones are usually used for handling materials that are not sensitive to gravity.
- The vertical ones are mainly used for handling materials that are sensitive to gravity.
They can be used for a wide range of applications, such as packaging, drying, cooling, heating, or sorting of materials.
Advantages of Pneumatic Conveyor Systems
- Reduces product degradation
- No contamination
- Low energy consumption
- Easily customizable
- Compact system design
- Low maintenance
Advantages of Pneumatic Conveying over Mechanical Conveying
- Higher levels of accuracy
- Low-energy usage
- No loss of material
The pneumatic powder conveying system is an innovative and cost-effective solution for the flour and sugar blending project, cream line roll project, and coca cakes cooling project.
There are two main types of pneumatic conveying- dense phase and lean phase:
- Dense phase pneumatic conveyors are best for the transfer of abrasive materials at a slower velocity, that prevent them from damaging pipes or other equipment.
- Lean phase pneumatic conveying systems are typically used to transport lightweight, non-abrasive materials over long distances.
In a pneumatic powder conveyor, one of the most vital components is the blower, which is responsible for creating the necessary airflow to transport materials via various conveyance tubing. Apart from this, a feed system, conveying piping, dust collector, and vessel are some of its key parts.